The goal of the project - since it’s much easier to avoid Ransomware infection rather than fight against it – is twofold:
- Firstly the project aims to educate users about how ransomware works,
- Secondly the project wishes to raise user awareness of the countermeasures that can be implemented to effectively prevent ransomware infection in the first place.
The project also aims to build a suite of tools that will assist infected users in recovering their data without having to pay the ransom, currently there are around 20 tools that can be used to decrypt files affected by ransomware; which is arguably a drop-in-the-ocean given the number of active ransomware threats currently out there - but this list is growing constantly and importantly it’s a start - the No More Ransom project hopes to eventually have a comprehensive suite of tools that will be able to assist users affected by most types of ransomware.
For now though, taking advice on protecting your company from ransomware infection seriously remains the best course of action:
- Use an endpoint security solution
- Patch or update all endpoint software and webservers
- Deploy a backup solution
- Disable files from running in locations such as “AppData/LocalAppData” and deploy policies that restrict users from executing malware
- Limit users from accessing mapped network drives
- Protect email servers with content filtering solutions
- Educate employees on identifying spear-phishing emails and other social engineering techniques.
Need some help?
Bitdefender GravityZone is a leading security solution for cloud and virtualized environments, offering organisations dramatically faster and more efficient risk management. Using a different architecture and unique technologies, GravityZone is #1 ranked antimalware solution for best protection and performance.
Watch the recording of our webinar between Adam Gleeson, ComputerWorld Security Specialist and BitDefender specialist to find out how GravityZone can mitigate the risk that your business faces.
ComputerWorld has nearly 25 years’ experience in the field of IT security. Our consultants have expert knowledge and certifications earned with the industry’s key hardware and software vendors, and can offer robust solutions for any aspect of your IT security.
To get in touch with one of our security specialists, complete the form below or give us a call on 01454 338 341.